Do You Have Symptoms of Rhinitis?
Chronic rhinitis is frequent inflammation of the nose with symptoms such as a runny nose, nasal congestion and post-nasal drip (mucus in the throat).
Rhinology and sinus surgery is a subspecialty that manages nasal and sinus problems. Dr. Beasley has unique expertise in this field, and is a recognized leader in the field of sinus surgery. Common problems treated are allergies, nasal obstruction, and sinusitis. Less common conditions such as tumors of the sinuses or anterior skull base can also be treated with minimally invasive techniques.
Normal Nasal Cavity
- Nasal nerves help regulate the nasal activity
- Turbinates warm and moisturize air as it flows through the nose
- Normal mucus production helps protect against infectious agents
- Nasal nerves send too many signals
- Inflamed turbinates contribute to congestion and stuffy nose
- Excessive mucus can drip down the throat and cause runny nose
ClariFix Minimally Invasive Rhinology Procedure
The ClariFix Rhinology procedure is an innovative, minimally invasive, and FDA-approved treatment to freeze an inflamed area at the back of the nose that contains the nerves to mucus-producing glands. These out-of-balance nerves signal mucus-producing glands to release more mucus, causing symptoms such as runny nose and sneezing. With the help of a small handheld device that has a cryotherapy balloon, the out-of-balance nerves are hit with cold temperature, as low as minus 60 degrees. Freezing those nerves disrupts their ability to make mucus. The best part of the procedure is that it works well on allergic and non-allergic patients with equally good results.
Other Rhinitis Treatment Options
There are limited treatment options for patients suffering from chronic rhinitis. Many are unsatisfied with medical therapy or resistant to medical therapy altogether.
Medical treatments for chronic rhinitis, like nasal sprays, drops, pills and allergy shots, help manage frequent runny nose, congestion and post-nasal-drip symptoms; however:
- They may require daily use
- Symptoms can persist despite these treatments
- Side effects may occur from prolonged usage, including nasal and throat dryness, nosebleeds and headaches